PhD in Human Computer Interaction: “Design as Dialogue - a Grounded Theory for Interdisciplinary Collaboration”, Leeds Metropolitan University, U.K., 2004/2008
Pos-graduation in Information Systems (POSI), Department of Engenharia Informática, Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal, 2003/2004
Msc in "Speech and Language Processing", in the School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, University of Essex, U.K., 1992/93
Degree ‘Licenciatura’ in Languages and Modern Literatures - Universidade de Lisboa - Faculdade de Letras, 1983 /1987
Adjunct Professor, Escola Superior de Tecnologia, Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco, Feb 1999 - …
Member of the General Council of Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco, Jan 1998-2000 and Feb 2009 – April 2013
President of the Scientific Board, Escola Superior de Tecnologia, Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco, 16 July 2008 – Sept 2012
Sub-director of Escola Superior de Tecnologia, Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco, 1998 - 2003
President of the Pedagogical Board, Escola Superior de Tecnologia, Instituto Politécnico de Castelo Branco, 1998 - 2002
Main Research Areas:
Information Systems; Human Computer Interaction; Research Methodologies
Other Research Interests:
Interaction Design, Human Work Interaction Design, Usability, User Experience, Accessibility, Human Factors; Organizational Agility; Research Methods and Methodologies; Creativity and Innovation, Quality of Life Technologies.
My research activities during the last years encompass the design of interactive artifacts:
· The technological designs that can satisfy the user’s need for comfort and pleasure in his or her residential environment, caring for them and independently in a creative way. This means the design of technology that offers solutions that are simple and easy to use.
· The design in coherence with the need of development in the field of communication, health and entertainment.
· Inexpensive technology, which is opening possibilities for common end users. Especially I have been concerned with the design of interfaces for elderly people living independently at home as long as possible with formal and informal support.
· I also tackled the technology that stimulates the user to better use of senses: feelings and touch…
And the Information System study of theories, methods, and systems of using information technology to operate and manage organizations – information systems and technology for organizational agility, intelligence and resilience.
- Member of LARSyS (Robotics and Systems in Engineering and Science) research group -
- Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI), University of Madeira, Madeira, Portugal
- Member of the WG 13.6 Human Work Interaction Design (HWID) research group - International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) – Vice chair
- Socio Fundador da ADUUX, Associaçao para o Desenvolvimento da Usabilidade e Experiencia do Utilizador
- Researcher in the Leonardo-Network: Culture, Creativity and Interaction Design, an international, interdisciplinary research network led by the UK, from 2005 to 2007 (EPSRC funded network).
- Researcher in the White Rose Network for Affective Communication in Consumer Product and Exhibition Design led by UK, from 2005 to 2007 (EPSRC funded network).